Digitally unify natural history collections
On a global scale, more and more biodiversity data becomes available, but this is far from being fully accessible to the wider community. Research infrastructures are needed to ensure that this rapidly growing volume of data is valuable and easily accessible to support and enhance bio- and geodiversity research. One example is the development of the new pan-European research infrastructure Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo), which aims to digitally unify natural history collections and link various data types with a central role for the natural history specimen.
The ISBI department focuses on international collaboration to promote the development of biodiversity research infrastructures. We bring together and align natural history institutions and international initiatives on (biodiversity) infrastructures and data sharing related to natural history collections. At the same time, we trengthen the connection between Naturalis and these international initiatives.
Naturalis' ISBI department was established in direct response to the challenges and opportunities presented by the international convergence of mass digitisation, open science, and data and research infrastructures.
ISBI attempts to achieve synergy and cost-efficient cooperation between natural science institutions in Europe and the major international biodiversity data sharing initiatives such as the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF), Catalogue of Life (COL), Encyclopedia of Life (EOL), Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL), Barcode of Life (BOLD) and LifeWatch.
Within Naturalis, the ISBI department initiates and strengthens connections between international initiatives and Naturalis and ensures these developments are embedded within Naturalis' operational framework to optimize collaboration and stay abreast of emerging issues and technologies.
Who work here
Wouter Addink - Coordinator Research-data and E-infrastructure
- Development of (inter)national projects on biodiversity e-infrastructures
- Coordinates all technical things in ISBI and is a fluent speaker of acronyms.
Eva Alonso - Senior Project Manager and DiSSCo Prepare Project Manager
- Coordinates a cluster of activities to secure synergy between different ISBI programme projects and relevant projects and development at institutional, national and international levels.
Sharif Islam - DiSSCo Data Architect
- Responsible for the design of the data architecture and associated services.
Dimitris Koureas - Head of the department, DiSSCo Coordinator
- Responsible for mission, vision, decisions, and almost everything else except real window coverings.
Tina Loo - Project Officer Biodiversity Data
- Responsible for biodiversity data and data policy related tasks with respect to European funded projects and DiSSCo development priorities.
Niels Raes - NLBIF node manager & Senior Project Leader Internationalization
- Manager of Dutch GBIF node -NLBIF
- Coordinates a stream to secure synergy between different ISBI programme projects, and relevant projects and developments at institutional and (inter)national levels.
Mil de Reus - Senior Management and Project Assistant
- Responsible for administrative and financial support for the department and project initiatives (DiSSCo, MOBILISE and NLBIF).
Senior Community & Partnerships Manager
- Engages with European national DiSSCo representatives and key stakeholders to understand the current national landscape, helps overcome possible barriers for the successful operation of National Task Forces, and represents the European DiSSCo initiative in the European countries of interest.