Everyone who has questions about the nature of gems (natural, synthetic, imitation), their origin, and/or handling can contact us at the Netherlands Gem Laboratory. Diamonds are tested for their quality here, too. The Gem Laboratory is part of Naturalis.
The Gem Laboratory has state-of-the-art equipment. Our experts work at the interface of fundamental and applied research and they respond quickly and competently to questions about gemstones and pearls. Using the vast Naturalis collection, the Netherlands Gem Laboratory's work contributes to scientific knowledge about geology and gemstones. Research conducted at the Gem Laboratory is published in accordance with internationally recognized standards and guidelines established by the International Mineralogical Association (IMA) and World Jewelery Confederation (CIBJO). This guarantees the consistent and high quality of our specialized work.
The Netherlands Gem Laboratory offers the following services to a wide range of clients (including jewelers, goldsmiths, and silversmiths, as well as gemstone and pearl aficionados):
- Gemstones: identification (including synthetic stones and imitations) and possible handling, investigation into country of origin.
- Diamonds: grading and investigation into the origin of the color (for fancy color diamonds), investigation into the quality of the weight, color, clarity, and cut.
- Pearls: identification (including cultured pearls and imitations) and possible handling, determining nacre thickness, and other quality indicators for cultured pearls.
Interested in becoming an expert on gemstones and pearls? Or would you like to brush up your professional knowledge? The Gem Laboratory has interesting programs and courses to offer, complete with professional supervision and state-of-the-art facilities. More information about our courses, including dates and costs?
- Article Edelmetaal april 2021: Kleurstenen en parels. Verantwoord en ethisch straks verplicht. (Dutch)
- Article Edelmetaal june 2019: Colombia zet in op traceerbare en verantwoorde smaragd (Dutch)