I specialise in hard tissue histology, which I use to better understand mammalian growth and function.
bone histology, tooth histology, bone remodelling, biomechanics, palaeohistology, paleontology, biological anthropology, bioarchaeology
Skeletal histology of living and fossil mammals.
Compact bone in mammals is very physiologically active. It undergoes regular resorption and formation. This process, called remodelling, is sensitive to environmental and biological factors. I study this process using histology to better understand how different mammals grow and adapt to their environments and lifestyles. I work both with living and fossil mammals to elucidate their bone biology and reconstruct palaeobiology. My main research program at Naturalis is with Alexandra van der Geer, focussing on palaeohistology of insular mammals.
- Miszkiewicz JJ, Athanassiou A, Lyras GA, van der Geer A. 2023 In press. Rib remodelling changes with body size in fossil hippopotamuses from Cyprus and Greece. Journal of Mammalian Evolution
- Basilia P, Miszkiewicz JJ, Louys J, Wibowo UP, van den Bergh GD. 2023 In press. Insights into dwarf stegodon (Stegodon floresiensis floresiensis) palaeobiology based on rib histology. Annales de Paleontology
- Miszkiewicz JJ, Andronowski JM, Scotsman EMJ. 2023 In press. Comment on "Assessing the extent of bone bioerosion in short timescales – A novel approach for quantifying microstructural loss". Quaternary International
- Louys J, Cramb J, Ferguson K, Kemp J, Wood R, Miszkiewicz JJ, Dias Guimarães NR, Higgins P, Travouillon KJ, Hocknull SA, Webb GE, Price GJ. 2023 In press. Interim report of the vertebrate deposits recovered from the Capricorn Caves, Rockhampton, Queensland. Alcheringa: An Australasian Journal of Palaeontology
- Basilia P, Miszkiewicz JJ, Nganvongpanit K, Zaim J, Rizal Y, Aswan, Puspaningrum M, Trihascaryo A, Price G, van der Geer AAE, Louys J. 2023. Bone histology in a fossil elephant (Elephas maximus) from Pulau Bangka, Indonesia. Historical Biology 35(8): 1356–1367.
- Miszkiewicz JJ, Louys J, Mahoney P. 2022. Cartesian coordinates in two dimensional bone histology images for Quaternary bone remodelling research. Open Quaternary 8(12): 1-13.
- Miszkiewicz JJ, van der Geer AE. 2022. Inferring longevity from advanced rib remodelling in insular dwarf deer. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 136(1): 41–58.
- Stewart TJ, Louys J, Miszkiewicz JJ, 2021. Intra-skeletal vascular density in a bipedal hopping macropod with implications for analyses of rib histology. Anatomical Science International 96(3), 386–399.
- Walker MM, Louys J, Herries AIR, Price GJ, Miszkiewicz JJ. 2021. Humerus midshaft histology in a modern and fossil wombat. Australian Mammalogy 43(1):30–39.
- Miszkiewicz JJ, Louys J, Beck R, Mahoney P, Aplin K, O'Connor S. 2020. Island rule and bone metabolism in fossil murines from Timor. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 129 (3), 570–586.
- Miszkiewicz JJ, Louys J, O'Connor S. 2019. Micro-anatomical record of cortical bone remodeling and high vascularity in a fossil giant rat midshaft femur. The Anatomical Record 302(11): 1934–1940.
I can offer co/supervision in any area that deals with skeletal biology of mammals, including humans.
- Lucy Henderson, University of Otago, Committee Member
- Karen Cooke, Australian National University, Primary Supervisor
- Tahlia Stewart, Australian National University, Primary Supervisor
- Nicole MacFarlane, Australian National University, Co-Supervisor
- Lucille Pederson (submitted) James Cook University, External Supervisor
- Pauline Basilia (2023) Griffith University, Co-Supervisor
- Lauren Meckel (2021) University of Otago, Associate Supervisor
- Sarah Robertson (2019) Australian National University, Primary Supervisor