Do you want to borrow collection items for exhibitions, research or for other purposes? Find out how to go about it.
Due to developing legislation in various nations worldwide, which is likely to have impact on the ways of exchanging and studying biological and geological collection objects for scientific purposes, first-time borrowers are kindly requested to return this loan agreement signed. The material will be sent off on receipt of the agreement by the museum. Reference is made to Article15, intended to guarantee the safe return of the material received on loan, irrespective of legal, administrative or other obstacles. It is understood that the situation in the country of destination is assessed seriously by the proposed consignee, particularly with respect to anticipated customs action. Thank you for your attention.
- Loans for scientific purposes are initiated on the instruction of designated staff of the Naturalis Biodiversity Center, usually the Head of Department of the relevant collection unit. Loans for exhibitions and other non-research purposes require registration with the Head of Department prior to shipment, and are subject to additional conditions.
- The consignee agrees to take the greatest possible care of all specimens entrusted to him. The address of the consignee is always that of a museum or a scientific institution.
- Types of vertebrates and fossil plants will not be sent on loan. Types of invertebrates, insects and fossils only in exceptional cases, depending, among others, on type status and number of type specimens per taxon. The number of types sent on loan is usually limited per mailing.
- The period within which the specimens should be returned is maximally 12 months. Loans of uniques, types, etc. will not exceed 3 months and will have to be returned by priority mail.
- Types and other unique specimens may not leave the museum to which the loan has been sent.
- It is not permitted to bring specimens received on loan under the control of others without prior written permission of the Head of Collection Management.
- Without an agreement in writing from the Head of Department the consignee is not permitted to retain specimens, fragments thereof, or other physical or chemical information carriers.
- The consignee is not permitted to remove specimens or parts thereof from needles or slides, take mounted specimens from boards, or otherwise impair the integrity of the material and its history. Original labels may not be removed or physically tampered with in any way.
- The consignee agrees to handle the material according to any instructions given by the museum, and to be responsible for any damage, wear or loss of the material, also when, on return of the material, this would result from improper packing or transport. The consignee may be instructed to insure the specimens for the value specified on the invoice.
- Without prior written permission specimens may not be used for anatomical, histological, or molecular and other chemical studies. Parts may only be dissected from specimens after permission has been obtained and they must be returned properly labelled with the original specimen.
- Use of the museums collections must be adequately acknowledged in publications or with other products (Naturalis Biodiveristy Center). At least one copy (reprint) of publications based directly or indirectly on material from the collections of Naturalis Biodiversity Center will be made available for use in the library of the museum. The Head of Department should be informed about any products resulting from the loan.
- Products based directly or indirectly on the use of the museums collections generating income for the consignee or others are subject to royalty payments, payable to the museum. Use of collection specimens for other than non-profit purposes is not permitted without prior consent.
- The Head of Department reserves the right not to initiate loans, or to adapt the conditions of loans according to the circumstances, for instance, on the basis of risk assessment or legal considerations.
- The consignee agrees to return all specimens received on loan not later than the date specified on the invoice, or to apply for an extension of the loan if necessary.
- The consignee agrees to return all the material on loan completely, unless agreed otherwise. The consignee has the obligation to inform the museum of any legal, administrative, or other obstacles in the traffic of material, including its safe return, when requesting the loan.
- The consignee agrees to inform Naturalis Biodiversity Center when a loan will be sent back to the museum at email@example.com.
All loan requests can be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org