We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-starting community development manager to take the lead in activities and projects that will lead to the development and establishment of the BIOSCAN Europe network.
This is an excellent opportunity to kickstart a highly aspiring new European network of professionals and organisations. You will be working in one of the largest Natural Science Museums in the world, the Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden, The Netherlands.
Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden is the Dutch national institute for biodiversity and systematics. With our collection of 42 million specimens, one of the world's largest natural history collections, and our state-of-the-art research facilities we offer the (inter)national research infrastructure for species identification and monitoring. We present the history of our planet, and the diversity of life on Earth, through permanent and temporary museum exhibitions, educational programmes and online presence, with more than 400,000 visitors per year.
Naturalis Biodiversity Center is looking for a Community Development Manager - BIOSCAN Europe
BIOSCAN Europe (bioscaneurope.org) is a newly established European network. The network brings together European scientists and organisations that work on scalable and robust biodiversity monitoring using DNA. At its core, BIOSCAN Europe connects projects, initiatives and expertise from across the continent to build an efficient European system of facilities for rapid identification and monitoring of species. BIOSCAN Europe is developed through the work of the European project Biodiversity Genomics Europe (BGE) (biodiversitygenomics.eu).
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders and members of the network and implement community-building initiatives
- Developing programmes and making use of collective and distributed resources to operationalise them
- Establish community practices and policies and implement online tools in service of the community needs
- Contribute to the strategic plan of the network
- Identify opportunities for external funding and contribute to the writing of fundraising proposals
- Conduct outreach and network enlargement activities together with colleagues from the communication department
- Develop, organise and document meetings and events online and onsite
Skills and competences
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills and competences:
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Proven ability to bring people together and create community, especially in technical contexts
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and a strong desire to engage with the research community on an ongoing basis
- Proven ability to engage a diverse range of stakeholders in pursuit of a shared goal
- Proven ability to teach new tools or methodologies to technical audiences
- Entrepreneurial mindset and horizon scanning abilities
- Experience building community with social media tools
- Excellent command of the English language. Working knowledge of dutch is an advantage but not required.
A contract (36 hours per week) for a period of one year, to be extended with two years after a successful first year evaluation, and a monthly gross salary between € 3,208.- and € 4,196.-. You also get an allowance for travel expenses, a holiday allowance (8%) and a year-end bonus (3.4%).
Working at Naturalis also means free entrance to Naturalis and Rotterdam Zoo for you and your family/friends. A discount so you can buy something in Naturalis Restaurant. An informal drink with all your colleagues once every month. You are surrounded by a lot of experience and various experts. Flexibility between working from home and at the office.
Applicants are invited to submit their application, including a cover letter and CV, by using this application form. Please submit your application before October 3rd 2022. For position-related questions, feel free to contact Eva Alonso, head of ISBI: email@example.com. For procedural information please contact the HR department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Naturalis endorses the Cultural Diversity Code. In the case of equal suitability, preference is given to the candidate who reinforces diversity within the team.