For a key role in this intertwined infrastructure within Naturalis and the ARISE programme, Naturalis is looking for a Data Architect.
Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden is the Dutch national institute for biodiversity and systematics. With our collection of 42 million specimens, one of the world's largest natural history collections, and our state-of-the-art research facilities we offer the (inter)national research infrastructure for species identification and monitoring. We present the history of our planet, and the diversity of life on Earth, through permanent and temporary museum exhibitions, educational programmes and online presence, with more than 400.000 visitors per year.
Additionally, within Naturalis, the ARISE programme spearheads the innovation and further development of all aspects and facets of data management around biodiversity related data, ranging from genetic data to images, sounds, radar and environmental data. Interconnecting data components lies at the heart of species recognition, including laboratory and AI technology, and will drive innovation within biodiversity research.
We are looking for a can-do, innovative data architect that wants to contribute to data-driven solutions for biodiversity research. Working closely with the Naturalis and ARISE community, this role will have an opportunity to design infrastructure and services to help researchers and policymakers answer pressing questions. The architect will be part of a dynamic environment that is cutting-edge in the global research infrastructure landscape.
Job descriptionand expectations
As part of your responsibilities your role will include the following functions:
- Understand and translate business objectives to efficient data architectures for Naturalis and ARISE infrastructures
- Guiding the design and implementation of data standards, data management and other core components in close collaboration with Naturalis and ARISE teams. Comparing technology solutions and take technical decisions in the ARISE programme that will interconnect with the Naturalis infrastructure and other research partners
- Designing and detailing the technical roadmap that will enable ARISE to become operational in an iterative, agile way while evolving the Naturalis infrastructure
This is a key position to the future development of the Naturalis and the ARISE Research Infrastructure. As a data architect, you may also be called to contribute intellectually and provide technical leadership to future Naturalis-linked projects.
Experience,Skills and Education
Evidence of skills and competencies that directly support your capacity in the roles described above.
We are looking for:
- Solid understanding of the processes, limitations and technical solutions in development of data infrastructure, in particular on data management, processing, linking and interoperability
- Experience in designing data architecture with varying levels and scales of complexity (e.g. variable data type, scale, quality, location)
- Experience working with structured and unstructured data
- Ability to absorb and oversee complex data flows to design solutions and inform strategic decisions
- Familiarity with current trends and new applications in the data architecture domain
- Thinking in long-term, scalable and maintainable but also pragmatic and practical solutions
- A university degree, preferably in data architecture, computer science, technical engineering or similar technical study
- Experience in working in distributed work environments
- Fluent in speaking and writing English, knowledge of Dutch is a plus, and willing to work in an Dutch/English-speaking environment
The Data Architect role is a unique opportunity to innovate, design and develop a new infrastructure that will drive the future of biodiversity research in the Netherlands and Europe. It will help transform Naturalis into a leading research facility for global trans-disciplinary research that will aid in finding solutions for societal challenges in climate change, health and management of natural resources. The position enables a highly dynamic and promising career path in e-science infrastructures and data architecture for scientific data in biodiversity and geodiversity, with the opportunity to promote open source, open data and to have direct involvement with the user community.
You will be positioned in Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden, the Netherlands, a vibrant working environment and report directly to the CIO of Naturalis. We offer initially a one year contract, with an option to extend pending performance evaluation and funding availability. A salary between € 3.405,00 and € 5.214,00 gross per month depending on relevant experience on the basis of a 36-hour working week. The job level is under evaluation and has to be determined definitely. Incoming international employees could benefit from significant government tax relief (30% ruling) for a set number of years.
As an employee of Naturalis the Collective Employment Agreement of Dutch Museums (Museum CAO) will be applicable to you. All our employees are incorporated into a pension fund.
Naturalis Biodiversity Center promotes gender equality, accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of colour, racial, social or ethnic origin or sexual orientation, and wants to enhance the diversity of staff members.
Applicationprocedure and further information
Enquiries concerning the position can be addressed to Dimitris Koureas, Naturalis CIO (firstname.lastname@example.org). For information on the ARISE programme you can contact Elaine van Ommen Kloeke (email@example.com), Programme manager ARISE. For information concerning the procedure or HR issues please contact the HR department (firstname.lastname@example.org, 071 - 7519 176).
Interested in the job? Please use this form for your application. Please include your GitHub ID, ORCID or other relevant accounts and indicate in the application how you found this job advertisement. An assessment may be part of the selection procedure. We look forward to hearing from you.
Acquisition is not appreciated.